The 31st Nicol-Brown Amateur Invitational
October 12, 2013
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
Albany, New York
Judges: Patrick Molard, Andrew Hayes, and June Hanley
View a pdf of the 2013 program.
Overall Nicol-Brown Championship
- Andrew Mackay (12 points)
Prizes: airfare to compete in London in November 2014, donated by the New Hampshire Highland Games & Festival, and by Steve Porter; and an McC2 pipe chanter with an engraved sole, donated by McCallum Bagpipes.
- Aaron Stone (12 points)
Prize: A Peter Henderson Blackwood Pipe Chanter donated by Henderson’s Ltd.
- Jack Williamson (12 points)
Prize: An R. G. Hardie Piper Flight Case donated by R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd.
- Liam Hilder (10 points)
Prize: $150 piping scholarship donated by Doreen Forney in memory of P/M Angus Macdonald.
Robert Nicol-Robert Brown Chalice for Piobaireachd
- Andrew Mackay (“The Massacre of Glencoe”)
Prize: A bound Piobaireachd Society Collection donated by Jon Maffett from The Piper’s Hut.
- Aaron Stone (“The Park Piobaireachd #2”)
Prize: A McCallum practice chanter with Victorian-scroll engraved sole and ferrule, donated by McCallum Bagpipes.
- Jack Williamson (“His Father’s Lament for Donald MacKenzie”)
Prizes: The Masters of Piobaireachd CDs, Volumes 1-6, donated by Joseph Stewart and Family.
- James Dyson (“All the Men Paid Rent but Rory”)
Prizes: Donald MacDonald’s Collection of Piobaireachd, Vol. 1, donated by the Spicer Family; and The Waking of the Bridegroom CD donated by Charlie and Paula Glendinning.
- Jordan Perillo (“The King’s Taxes”)
Prizes: Hugh Cheape’s book, Bagpipes: A National Collection of a National Treasure, donated by JoAnn Scott; and The Waking of the Bridegroom CD donated by Charlie and Paula Glendinning.
William Ross Challenge Targe MSR Competition
- Liam Hilder (“Major Manson’s Farewell to Clachantrushal,” “Delvinside,” and “John Morrison of Assynt House”)
Prizes: A bound William Ross Collection donated by Steve Porter; and a tshirt and cap donated by R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd.
- Kirk Brunson (“The Pap of Glencoe,” “The Shepherd’s Crook,” and “Alick C. McGregor”)
Prizes: The Gordon Highlanders Pipe Music Collection, Vol. 1 donated by Bruce and Betsy Douglas; and a tshirt and cap donated by R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd.
- Callum Harper (“Angus McKinnon of Eigg,” “Arniston Castle,” and “Neil Angus MacDonald”)
Prizes: Scots Guards, Volume 2 donated by Doreen Forney in memory of P/M Angus Macdonald; and a tshirt and cap donated by R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd.
- Aaron Stone (“David Ross of Rosehall,” “The Piper’s Bonnet,” and “The Sheepwife”)
Prizes: Scots Guards, Volume 1 donated by Doreen Forney in memory of P/M Angus Macdonald; and a tshirt and cap donated by R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd.
- Andrew Mackay (“John MacColl’s March to Kilbowie Cottage,” “Maggie Cameron,” and “Bessie McIntyre”)
Prizes: The Masters’ Collection: Rarities of Highland Bagpipe Music, donated by Scott’s Highland Services; and a cap donated by R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd.
Donald MacLeod Memorial 6/8 March Competition
- Jack Williamson (“John Gordon of Drummuie” and “Jean Mauchline”)
Prizes: The Donald MacLeod Memorial Silver Buckle created and donated by Stephen Walker of Walker Metalsmiths; and a copy of Chris Armstrong’s Re:Tradition digital collection on USB drive donated by Reelpipes.com.
- Kirk Brunson (“Cameron MacFadyen” and “The Ross Battery”)
Prizes: A Piper’s Pal Reed Case and Reed Protector donated by Duncan’s Highland Supply; and a copy of Chris Armstrong’s Re:Tradition digital collection on USB drive donated by Reelpipes.com.
- James Dyson (“Frank Thompson” and “El Alamein”)
Prizes: A copy of Chris Armstrong’s Re:Tradition digital collection on USB drive donated by Reelpipes.com; and a Harlaw Double CD donated by Charlie and Paula Glendinning.
- Liam Hilder (“The MacNeils of Ugadale” and “MacLeod of Mull”)
Prizes: A copy of Chris Armstrong’s Re:Tradition digital collection on USB drive donated by Reelpipes.com; and a copy of Pipers of the Canadian Regular Army donated by Scott’s Highland Services.
- Aaron Stone (“The MacNeils of Ugadale” and “Ellenorr”)
Prize: A copy of Chris Armstrong’s Re:Tradition digital collection on USB drive donated by Reelpipes.com.
Dress and Deportment
(judged by Eric MacNeill)
- Campbell Webster
Prize: A kilt pin designed after the Bird of Friendship from the Book of Kells.
Each competitor this year received an Airstream Blowpipe donated by Scott’s Highland Services, as well as a Nicol-Brown lapel pin, a Nicol-Brown towel, and a framed group photo.
Invitations to the Nicol-Brown Competition each year are based on competitive results and overall rankings in the pipers’ home associations, as well as in national and international contests that show the highest standards of amateur piping for Piobaireachd and Light Music. Competitors pay their own way to the contest in Albany, or are helped with their travel expenses by their own sponsors and patrons.
- KIRK BRUNSON (Haverhill, Massachusetts)
Grade 1 Piper of the Day at the 2013 New Hampshire Highland Games & Festival.
- ANDREW DONLON (Germantown, Maryland)
First Place out of 73 pipers in the 2013 EUSPBA Grade 1 Overall and Piobaireachd Season Standings.
- JAMES DYSON (Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia)
2013 Amateur Grade 1 Champion Supreme for Atlantic Canada.
- CALLUM HARPER (Bolton, Ontario)
2013 PPBSO Champion Supreme in Senior Amateur Piobaireachd.
- LIAM HILDER (Port Coquitlam, British Columbia)
2013 BC Pipers’ Association Grade 1 Grand Aggregate Champion.
- ANDREW MACKAY (Kitchener, Ontario)
2nd Place in combined PPBSO Grade 1 Light Music and Senior Amateur Piobaireachd Champion Supreme standings for 2013; Grade 1 Piper of the Day at 2013 North American Championships in Maxville, Ontario.
- JORDAN PERILLO (Winnipeg, Manitoba)
2013 Prairie Pipe Band Association of Manitoba Grade 1 Piobaireachd and Light Music Champion; Grade 1 Piper of the Games at the 2013 Antigonish Highland Games.
- AARON STONE (Sedro-Woolley, Washington)
2nd Place in 2013 BC Pipers’ Association Grade 1 Grand Aggregate standings; 2013 BC Pipers’ Association Annual Gathering Aggregate Champion.
- CAMPBELL WEBSTER (Concord, New Hampshire)
2013 US Piping Foundation Grade 1 Champion, winning First Place in both events.
- JACK WILLIAMSON (Topeka, Kansas)
Prizes in four juvenile contests in Scotland in 2013; MSR Champion at the November 2012 Balmoral Classic.
Invited but unable to attend:
- TYLER JOHNSON (Farmington Hills, Michigan)
2013 Champion Supreme in PPBSO Grade 1 Light Music; and 1st Overall in combined Light Music and Senior Amateur Piobaireachd.
- NICHOLAS THERIAULT (Danville, California)
2012 and 2013 WUSPBA Grade 1 Aggregate Champion.
The 2013 Nicol-Brown Contest, Concert, and Workshop events were made possible by the efforts of many volunteers, donors and sponsors who have been generous in their support of amateur piping, including:
- Anonymous Friends of the Nicol-Brown
- Bagad New York
- Ellen Bassett
- Celtic Hall
- City of Albany Pipe Band
- Ian Coletti
- Maureen Connor
- Ally Crowley-Duncan, Steward
- George Dohring, Steward
- Bruce and Betsy Douglas
- Duncan’s Highland Supply
- Eastern United States Pipe Band Association
- Doreen Forney
- Charlie and Paula Glendinning
- Cindy, Jeff, and Adam Green
- Donna Hanks
- R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd.
- Henderson Imports
- Eric MacNeill, Dress and Deportment Judge
- McCallum Bagpipes
- Barb and Erin McCarthy
- Bobby Minnear
- The New Hampshire Highland Games & Festival
- The Piper’s Hut
- pipes|drums Magazine
- Steve Porter
- The Prout Printers, Inc.
- Roofing Innovations, LLC
- Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church
- Scotia-Glenville Pipe Band
- JoAnn Scott
- Scott’s Highland Services, Ltd.
- Simon Fraser University Pipe Band
- Jane, Jim, Calum, and Graham Spicer
- Joseph Stewart and Family
- Frank Strauss
- United States Piping Foundation
- Stephen Walker of Walker Metalsmiths
- Rick Woolard
- Doreen Forney’s donation is dedicated to the memory of P/M Angus Macdonald.
- Steve Porter’s donation is given in gratitude and appreciation for what Invermark has meant to him and to countless other pipers and drummers over the years. Keep making wonderful music and magical experiences!
- Rick Woolard’s donation is dedicated to the memory of Ronald Morrison of South Uist.
Please contact Paula Glendinning at 301-774-3154, or speak to one of the other committee members if you would like to donate a prize for next year, or click here if you would like to donate cash to sponsor a scholarship or to help with the expenses of the Nicol-Brown. We are happy to designate your gift with a dedication in honor or in memory of someone. Please let us know if you would like us to add a link or a dedication to your donation on this page.
The 2013 Nicol-Brown Chalice Committee
- Ursa Beckford
- Maureen Connor
- Betsy Douglas
- Paula Glendinning
- Donna Hanks
- Donald F. Lindsay
- Barbara McCarthy
- Eric Ouellette
- JoAnn Scott
- Heather Scott-Wisehart
- Mary Robinson White